Ready in 60 minutes
33 calories per cookie
Calories calculated by MyFitness Pal
Recipe adapted from SkinnyTaste.com
Gingerbread Tree Cookies
- 3 tbsp. butter, softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar or 1/2 for a less sweet cookie
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/5 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups flour
- Icing: 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 egg white, green food coloring.
- Cream together sugar and butter.
- Add egg, applesauce, and molasses.
- Combine dry ingredients and add to wet mixture.
- Mix until combined.
- For dough into two disks and place in plastic wrap. Freeze for 20 minutes or chill in refrigerator for two hours.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface to 1/8″ thickness.
- Cut into 3″ strips and then into triangles making approximately 60 cookies.
- Bake on silicone pad for 5-8 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Avoid over cooking to have a softer cookie.
- Cool on a wire rack after baking.
- Whisk together icing ingredients and place in a piping bag or baggie and decorate. Add sprinkles or other desired decorations.
If you prefer not to use egg whites in the icing, you can use powdered egg whites or omit them and add milk or butter.
So, in making this recipe, there was a “happy little mistake.” I only added 1/4 cup of brown sugar instead of 3/4 and didn’t realize it until after they were baking 🙁 BUT…the cookies had just enough sweetness after adding the icing, reducing the calories to 22 calories per cookie!!