Ready in 40 minutes
Serves 12 people
163 calories per slice
Calories calculated by MyFitness Pal
Recipe adapted from Skinny Taste
Family Rating: 5 of 5
Apple Scones with Spiced Glaze
- 1/2 cup cold buttermilk culture powder (2 tbsp powder with 1/2 cup water)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp cubed chilled butter
- 2 cups finely chopped apples
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 2 tbsp cold fat free or cashew milk (extra if needed for consistency)
- Combine first five ingredients and set aside
- Combine flours, baking powder, spices, and salt and stir with a whisk
- Cut in the chilled butter with a pastry cutter or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs; fold in apples.
- Add wet mixture until just combined
- Knead mixture on a floured surface four times (I used a silicone mat with flour. You could also use parchment or wax paper)
- Form into a 9″ circle, 3/4″ thick and place on a baking stone or cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut into 12 pieces and bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and an inserted knife comes out clean.
- Mix glaze and drizzle over scones while hot.
This is a great low calorie dessert or a sweet addition to your breakfast. Add piece of chicken sausage for a balance with protein or egg whites and stay within the daily bread spread.